I read Entertainment Weekly religiously. I especially love their book reviews and recommendations, I have found some of my favorites there. So when they recently published a list of The 100 All-Time Greatest books, I was extremely interested. I then thought, let me take a better look and see how many of the top 100 I have read. So here is their list, with my note if I indeed read it, if I only got part way through, or if I haven’t even touched it yet. Check them out, and see how many you have read.
1. Anna Karenina. I have not read all the way through…only a few more pages though just picked it up not that long ago. Do I consider it to be #1…not so sure. But hey I didn’t create this list
2. The Great Gatsby. Yep I did this one. As I am sure all of you did too.
3. Pride and Prejudice. yes and I have read most of Ms. Austen’s works.
4. Great Expectations. Yes I did, and why is it that there have been many movies and TV shows that reference this book?
5. One Hundred Years of Solitude. Sadly I have not
6. My Antonia. Only a few chapters…just couldn’t get into it
7. The Harry Potter series. I worked for Scholastic for 10 years…so yea I read it.
8. The Rabbit quartet. No, but it is on my list
9. Beloved. Only a small part.
10. Charlotte’s Web. Loved this one
11. Mrs. Dalloway. Not as bad I thought it was going to be.
12. The Sound and the Fury. No not yet
13. To Kill a Mockingbird. Probably one of my favorite.
14. Crime and Punishment. There is only thing that I have a problem with, the names are so similar I confuse them sometimes.
15. Ragtime. No, I never have
16. Jane Eyre. My mother made me.
17. The Road. Loved it.
18. Moby-Dick. Ugh…ok…so I started and stopped. Started and stopped. This is truly is my white whale.
19. Lolita. Yep.
20. Lonesome Dove. I saw my father read it does that count?
21. An American Tragedy. Never touched it.
22. Wuthering Heights. Thank you HS English class.
23. The Brothers Karamazov. Didn’t get to this one
24. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Thank you college.
25. Bleak House. Again, thank you college.
26. Invisible Man. I enjoyed it.
27. A Wrinkle in Time. Have recommended it to many students
28. War and Peace. Pass
29. The Handmaid’s Tale. Yes
30. Native Son. Only part of it.
31. Blindness. I didn’t but after reading about it I want to.
32. The Catcher in the Rye. High School.
33. Maus. Yes.
34. The World According to Garp. Only after I saw the movie.
35. A Personal Matter. I never heard of this until this list.
36. Atlas Shrugged. Took me a whole summer.
37. The Sun Also Rises. Good, but not my favorite.
38. The Regeneration trilogy. No I have not.
39. Middlesex. Love it.
40. A Suitable Boy. I have not.
41. Go Tell it on the Mountain. I have not.
42. The Stand. My favorite Stephen King by far
43. A Confederacy of Dunces. The main character made me think of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons
44. His Dark Materials. I read the first book.
45. The Color Purple. Only part.
46. The Age of Innocence. Yes.
47. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I haven’t but would like to.
48. The Talented Mr. Ripley. Took the easy way out, watched the movie.
49. Ender’s Game. Yes and can’t wait to see it on the big screen.
50. Snow. No.
51. The Corrections. Yes and loved.
52. Song of Solomon. No I haven’t
53. Gone with the Wind. My cousin, whom I am close with, reads it almost every year.
54. Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. Nope
55. A Fine Balance. Again no.
56. Sophie’s Choice. I don’t think I can. I have heard it is way to powerful and I don’t think I can handle it.
57. The Children of Men. I enjoyed it. It helped me get into sci-fi
58. Midnight’s Children. Nope, sorry.
59. Dracula. College, thanks.
60. Their Eyes were Watching God. no I haven’t
61. Love in the Time of Cholera. Yes.
62. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Yeppers.
63. Portnoy’s Complaint. Never knew of it.
64. Infinite Jest. Working on it right now.
65. Herzog. Nope
66. Howards End. I heard it was very good.
67. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. This was a good one.
68. Middlemarch. I will march my way right out to the library.
69. Money. No but I would like some.
70. Neuromancer. Read a little, thanks to a friend of mine.
71. The Hobbit. Me and Bilbo are tight.
72. The Remains of the Day. sorry, but no
73. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. I have read le Carre, but not this one.
74. Cold Mountain. Again, only a little.
75. Madame Bovary. It is on my bookshelf, waiting.
76. The Golden Notebook. Never knew of it.
77. Tom Jones. Read very little in college.
78. A House for Mr. Biswas. Never heard of it.
79. Bring Up the Bodies. Not for me.
80. Swann’s Way. Nope.
81. Frankenstein. Yes and scary.
82. Disgrace. Only a little.
83. The Stone Diaries. Never.
84. Clockers. Yes and awesome.
85. Catch-22. Only a little, but I intend to finish.
86. A Home at the End of the World. No but I heard good things.
87. White Teeth. Yes
88. The Bonfire of the Vanities. Only a little.
89. Tristram Shandy. Only a little.
90. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. No
91. The Leopard. No to this one too.
92. The Glass Bead Game. No unfortunately
93. Bastard Out of Carolina. Never knew of it
94. The Moonstone. Nope
95. The Poisonwood Bible. Yes.
96. If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler. No I never have
97. The Big Sleep. I got so close to the end, and then had to put it down.
98. Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret. What woman hasn’t?
99. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Only my shelf.
100. The Joy Luck Club. With any luck I might.
So there are their top 100. But if I may, please allow me to add some of my own.
The Only Man and the Sea. My brother had to read it for school, looked interesting to me so I read it. Loved it. My first taste of Hemingway
2666. Took me awhile but I loved it.
Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy. See I told you I read le Carre.
This is Where I Leave You. I giggled a lot.
The Book Thief. READ THIS if you haven’t already.
The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao. Great book
A Cricket in Times Square. this is purely because I remember it from when I was a kid.
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff Christ’s Childhood Pal. My absolute favorite book.
Hope you enjoy and maybe see how many you have read.